Saturday, March 12, 2011

… And the Journey Begins, Freedom Ends

Walking through the front door of my house on December 23, 2010 was like stepping into a time machine; I was no longer a 19 year old, but a 12 year old (or so it seemed). I couldn’t take advantage of my freedom or independence. I was going to be force-fed food by my parents. This seemed like the worst thing possible, but now I am  beginning to realize the role my parents have played in my recovery. Parents are the key to success. As much as I don’t like to admit it, parents often know best. It sucks, I know.
The first thing you can do to begin recovery is to put trust in your parents. Ed has most likely taken over your head (like he did to me) and will continue dominating your thoughts making you feel like you’re not good enough. I know that my rational thoughts were unexposed and nonexistent. My parents immediately took control, feeding me small meals so my body could adjust. (Trust me, Maudsley is much more gradual than ending up in a treatment center).
It’s a rough beginning, but just remember that it won’t be like that forever. It is temporary and you almost have to be in pain to recover, whether it’s your head, stomach, or your mind! It will get better, just give yourself some time and don’t expect rapid changes.

No comments:

Post a Comment